Cleaner Energy and a Stable Climate
The Clean Power Plan is the first nationwide effort to cut carbon pollution from coal power plants. ICL's top energy priority is to ensure the plan delivers the most climate protections.
Hot Topic: The Clean Power Plan Protects Our Air
Do you know that Idaho gets almost 50% of its electricity from burning coal in our neighboring states?
Burning coal is tipping the balance of our atmosphere, causing climate to change around the world. In Idaho we see evidence of climate change today. Warmer winters now lead to snow falling as rain. Hot, dry summers increase wildfires, stress water supplies, and degrade fish and wildlife habitat. If we do not cut our carbon footprint, these changes will continue and accelerate.
Now we have an opportunity to cut coal and protect our climate. In June, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed the Clean Power Plan, the first nationwide rule to cut carbon from our electricity system. Read more about how the plan works here. In short, the plan is that each state will replace coal by investing in efficiency and renewables.
Through this summer, we are reviewing the plan with an eye to strengthening it. Stay tuned via our blog, or for more detailed information sign up for our energy newsletter.
Today we are:
- Building Idaho's clean energy options—by documenting the benefits to Idaho's environment and economy by switching off coal
- Protecting healthy air, clean water and a stable climate—by ensuring strong pollution controls for coal and gas power plants
- Helping Idahoans invest in local clean energy like solar power through net metering or energy efficiency programs
- Working with affected communities, land managers and utilities to find appropriate places for clean energy projects like geothermal, wind and new transmission lines
- Working with regional partners to challenge coal exports that threaten North Idaho's health, safety and environment by radically increasing coal transport the Idaho Panhandle.
What You Can Do
Become a member today and protect the Idaho you love!