Moving Idaho Beyond Coal
To protect our air, water and climate, Idaho must replace our coal-burning power sources.
ICL's top energy priority is to move Idaho beyond coal to clean energy.
Why? Burning fossil fuels-coal and natural gas-pollutes our air and water with several chemicals, including mercury, and is a major source of greenhouse gases that are changing our climate.
Do you know that Idaho gets almost 50% of its electricity from burning coal in our neighboring states? We can do better. To protect our air, water, landscapes and climate, ICL works to eliminate wasted energy through efficiency and replace dirty energy with clean sources.
ICL Is Moving Idaho Toward a Clean Energy Future
Today we are:
- Building Idaho's clean energy options—by documenting the benefits to Idaho's environment and economy by switching off coal
- Protecting healthy air, clean water and a stable climate—by ensuring strong pollution controls for coal and gas power plants
- Helping Idahoans invest in local clean energy like solar power through net metering or energy efficiency programs
- Working with affected communities, land managers and utilities to find appropriate places for clean energy projects like geothermal, wind and new transmission lines
- Working with regional partners to challenge coal exports that threaten North Idaho's health, safety and environment by radically increasing coal transport the Idaho Panhandle