Climate Campaign Coordinator
The Idaho Conservation League is seeking a motivated, curious, and strategic thinker to be our Climate Campaign Coordinator, someone who is comfortable with and experienced in advocacy, and knowledgeable
about Idaho’s cultural and political landscape.
Opportunity for Impact: This position will lead our Climate campaign, with the long-term goal of making Idaho carbon neutral. We see the impacts of climate change in Idaho today – to our natural world through shrinking habitat and warming rivers, and to our communities as asthma rates increase, heat impacts agricultural and other outdoor workers, and energy bills continue to rise.With this campaign, ICL is committed to protecting Idaho communities while reducing Idaho’s contribution to this world-wide crisis.
Job Title: Climate Campaign Coordinator
Supervisor: Conservation Programs Director
Salary: Starts at $59,500 (DOE)
Benefits: Generous benefits—paid health insurance, Simple IRA with match, vacation/PTO, and more
Classification: Full-time exempt
Location: Boise, ID (location is non-negotiable)
Start date: As soon as possible
The Climate Campaign Coordinator develops and implements climate campaign strategies and scientific, legal, regulatory and grassroots tactics to achieve ICL’s goals, in parallel with ICL’s other major campaigns. This staff member is responsible for supervising climate team staff (currently one person), performing substantive elements of the campaign, tracking achievement of campaign goals, and updating and pivoting the campaign as needed. ICL’s programmatic climate work takes place in a variety of venues, and the Coordinator may represent
ICL to agencies, elected officials, the business community, partners, media, and the public.
This full-time, exempt position will have a flexible schedule with occasional evening and weekend responsibilities, and some travel. The position works from ICL’s Boise office. A hybrid work schedule to include some work from home is possible, however many of the duties are best performed via collaborative, in-person work with colleagues.
● Leading ICL’s climate campaign by developing short and long-term strategies and tactics, managing staff, and determining what resources the climate program needs to complete goals
● Representing ICL in Idaho communities with a focus on building understanding of and consensus on climate smart policies
● Reviewing scientific, analytic, legal, regulatory and public opinion information and synthesizing it into professional comments and outreach materials that aid in advocating for clean energy, electrified transportation, and climate-friendly agricultural practices
● Monitoring our progress and tracking achievement, and updating and pivoting the campaign as needed
● Establishing and building relationships with Tribes, agencies, elected officials, the business community, our partners, media and the public in order to build broad consensus for ICL’s climate goals
● Coordinating with fellow staff on media, community engagement, member development, and other campaign work to continuously build and empower ICL’s community of supporters
The ideal candidate will be/have:
● Demonstrated advocacy experience
● Experience working on climate, energy and/or transportation issues
● Project management experience, including: developing and implementing strategies, crafting written planning documents, and using methods to monitor progress and adherence to timelines and achievement of goals
● Experience managing programs and people
● Experience working cross-culturally, incorporating social and racial justice work on an ongoing basis
● An effective communicator who works well with others
● Able to work both independently and collaboratively
● Intellectually curious, a strategic thinker, goal oriented, and a lifelong learner
● General familiarity with utility regulation
● Interest and motivation about working on conservation issues, and committed to applying their skills toward protecting the environment
● The ability to adapt to a changing environment, and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
Application Process: Send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to ICLjobs@idahoconservation.org with Climate Campaign Coordinator in the subject line. In your cover letter, please describe how you will use your specific knowledge, skills, and experience to succeed in this position. Applications will be accepted until April 13, 2023.
The Idaho Conservation League’s programs and employment are open to all. ICL does not discriminate on the
basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or ability. Learn more about ICL
ABOUT ICL: Founded in 1973, the Idaho Conservation League has grown into Idaho’s oldest and largest state-based, non-profit natural resource conservation organization. We are a membership organization with members and supporters in every county in Idaho; a Board of Directors with statewide geographic representation; and four offices (Boise, Ketchum, McCall, and Sandpoint) employing 30 staff. ICL’s mission is to create a conservation community and pragmatic, enduring solutions that protect and restore the air you breathe, the water you drink, and the land and wildlife you love. Our vision is an Idaho where public lands remain public and are well managed, air is clean, lakes and rivers are healthy, fish and wildlife thrive, and a prosperous, sustainable future exists for all Idahoans. ICL is committed to doing conservation work in an equitable and just way. Clean water, clean air, public lands, and abundant fish and wildlife should be accessible to everyone. ICL is committed to a long-term goal of broadening our work to better serve the diversity of people our work connects to, particularly those populations with traditionally underrepresented voices or marginalized communities.